My brother introduced me to this Paula Deen recipe and I just love it. It is hearty and easy and filling and perfect for a cold winter night. It also makes great leftovers. The recipe recommends using Paula Deen branded sauces, but I have had just a good results with Sweet Baby Ray’s and A-1.
- 3 lbs ground beef chuck
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 jar Paula Deen BBQ Sauce*
- 2 tablespoons Paula Deen Vidalia Onion Steak Sauce*
- 8 slices American cheese, optional
- onion hamburger buns
- to taste salt and pepper
Cook ground beef, onion and pepper until beef is no longer red, stirring to break up. Sprinkle flour over beef; stir to blend thoroughly. Add the barbeque and steak sauce and simmer, stirring often, for 15 to 25 minutes, or until thickened. Salt and pepper to taste. Note: If mixture becomes too thick, just add a little warm water to thin out. To serve, top the toasted buns with a large scoop of the hot sloppy joe mixture and a single slice of cheese.